Hospitality Entertaining Tip: Make Your Bathroom Guest Ready
As your busy running around getting ready for guests this holiday season, don’t forget about making sure your guest bathroom is prepared. Some of these things might seem obvious, but you’d be amazed at how many bathrooms I’ve been to in people’s homes over the years where the guest was not a factor.
- If you have a guest in your home that has never been there, let them know where the bathroom is when they arrive.
- Don’t leave anything laying out you don’t feel comfortable having your guests see. For some, your guest bathroom is your only bathroom. Make sure everything is tidy and anything that should be put away is.
- Make sure you have enough hand soap for your guests to wash their hands.
- Speaking of washing hands, make sure there is a clean hand towel. Or better yet, have a basket of hand towels like I do in the picture above. I learned this trick from a couple friends of mine. Cold germs are very prevalent as the weather cools off. Individual hand towels in a basket are a great way to reduce the passing of germs among your guests — especially when there are kids present! Keep a separate basket on the floor by the sink for dirty hand towels. Toss one in there before hand to help show your guests what to do.
- Have a stock of extra toilet paper under the sink.
- I also like to keep a couple feminine products in a little basket under the sink as well. That way if you have a female guest that needs something, you can just direct them where it is without having it become an ordeal that may cause embarrassment. I understand single male hosts not necessarily wanting to follow this tip though.
- Light a candle. Makes things more inviting, and helps keep any odors at bay.
- Some people need to keep the bathroom door closed at all time due to kids, pets, etc. If that is the case, and you have another closed door (like a closet) right next to it, consider having a little sign on the door when you entertain to indicate which door is the bathroom.